Friday, February 13, 2015

people, I need you.

Today I sat on my neighbors' lawn and we chatted as the kids played.  Oh, it was so good for my soul.

This, most of all, is what I can't walk away from; this being among people, close to people, needed by people, and in need of them.  If there is a perfection in the church, it is in interweaving our lives with others.  I am woven to other women, my children are woven to their children, I am woven to their children (perhaps as their primary teacher or scout leader) and they are similarly woven to mine. Our family is woven to the father down the street who teaches my sons or comes to visit our family as our home teacher. And to our sweet eighty-something neighbor who accepts a plate of dinner from my kids and sends them home with pocketfuls of sweets.

Of course, the downside to this is when we give so much to others that we neglect our own family.  And this can happen a lot.  Think about any bishop who has young children and I think you'll agree. But that's a different post.

For now, I just want to say...people, I miss you.  I need you.  I wish I wasn't so scary to you.  I wish I didn't want to protect you by keeping my distance.  Thank you, neighbor, for letting me sit on your lawn and watch our children play.

Barbra says it much better than I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Facebook